Thursday, June 13, 2013

My Thursday Evening


Thursday afternoon I glanced at my twitter feed, and saw a contest tweeted by Reading 107FM
( @Reading107 ) for tickets to that evening’s showing of The Audience at the local cinema. The question was general movie trivia, “Who played Queen Elizabeth II in the film The Queen?” Well I love trivia and knew the answer, so I answered. I figured I didn’t get it in time or what not as I’ve been trying for two weeks to get Costa Coffee goodies, and still haven’t won any. Well what do you know, this time I won, I kind of wonder if it wasn’t the fact I answered Dame Helen Mirren that tipped it in my favor.

So I had about two hours to try and round up three other people, sadly didn’t happen. Then eat dinner and get myself to the cinema. I managed it.

The cinema was almost empty, maybe a couple of dozen people. That was sad on many levels. One because The Audience is part of the National Theatre Live program which brings the theatre programs that some might not get to ever see to your cities and towns. I really think this should be supported by putting our butts in the seats. Two because this was a brilliant show! I challenge any reality show addicted couch potato to see this and not think favorably about it. It has Dame Helen Freaking Mirren in it! There really should be more publicity about this program especially after I saw some of the other showings. I’ve already told my husband that I have two more dates that I want to go on. I’m getting off track back to The Audience.

This play was just brilliant. Dame Helen just owned me, she had a level of snarky humor as The Queen I really wouldn’t be surprised actually existed. The costume changes fall under spoiler info just know we don’t go from young Queen to old Queen we jump and take that as you will.

I spent much of my time laughing at the snarky quips, self-deprecation, and commiseration between The Queen and her Prime Ministers. The play was also quite surprisingly up to date. References to Baroness Thatcher’s death, the Pope resigning, the abdication of Queen Beatrix, and the Coronation Anniversary church service were made. In fact one part had me wondering if it wasn’t specially added just because it had happened.

While I was able to actually see it live there will be various encores over the summer in different locations. I urge you to go to http://ntlive.nationaltheatre.org.uk/ and see either The Audience or any of the other offerings that strike your fancy.

No comments: